07 Mar 2014 12:24:34 -0500
Mariano Rivera purchased and renovated 107-year-old church
New York Yankees legend Mariano Rivera recently purchased an abandoned church and poured $3 million dollars into renovating the historic monument, for his wife who is a practicing Minister. Rivera is arguably the best closer the game has ever witnessed relying on a nasty cutter to strike the fear of God in opposing hitters. There is no question, many MLB hitters thought their prayers were answered when Rivera finally called it a career at the conclusion of last season. Rivera purchased the 107 year old church from the City of New Rochelle for $1 with the agreement to renovate the historic building. Riveraâ€™s wife Clare will now move her congregation from the Rivera residence to the newly restored â€œPentecostal Refugio de Esperanzaâ€* which translates to â€œRefuge of Hope.â€* As expected Rivera was all class when asked about the church, â€œYou donâ€™t do it to be recognized,â€™ he said. You do it because it comes from the heart. You want to please the Lord. We have whites, we have blacks, we have Hispanics,â
07 Mar 2014 11:44:09 -0500
Mark Sanchez reportedly still could return to Jets in 2014
The New York Jets and quarterback Mark Sanchez may not be done with one another. While Sanchez will not be brought back at his currently $9 million salary plus a $2 million roster bonus the Jets could always choose to bring the signal caller back on a revised deal. Sanchez’s roster bonus comes due on March 25. Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio reports the following: Per a source with knowledge of the situation, it’s still too early to know how it will play out. Whatever the Jets offer Sanchez on a reduced contract could be more than what another team would pay. The Jets appear set to bring in some competition for Geno Smith for 2014 but would they really want to bring back the guy that they drafted Smith to replace? Sanchez missed all of 2013 after undergoing labrum surgery on his throwing shoulder.
07 Mar 2014 11:08:35 -0500
Report: Hernandez charged with assault, battery over jail fight
The charges keep piling up for Aaron Hernandez even while the former NFL star is still behind bars. The Bristol County Sheriff announced on Thursday his office has filed a complaint to charge Hernandez with assault and battery after fighting another inmate who was reportedly handcuffed at the time, reported WHDH-TV in Boston.The former New England Patriots tight end, who has pleaded not guilty to the shooting murder of Odin Lloyd, has been moved to a special isolation unit at the Bristol County jail where he's being held without bail.He was moved after the February 24 fight and will remain in the unit for at least 30 days, according to NECN.The 23-year-old Hernandez was not in cuffs at the time of the altercation with the other inmate. The attack happened after the pair had been exchanging taunts in the days leading up to the incident.The other inmate is not facing charges.The sheriff's office has filed a complaint against Hernandez. A magistrate will decide if he will face a hearing.Sheriff Thoma
07 Mar 2014 10:38:10 -0500
Mike Woodson upset Joakim Noah is recruiting Carmelo
I see where Mike Woodson is coming from, but he should be more focused on the job at hand, and finishing it out strong. According to the New York Post, Woodson took exception to a report Bulls center Joakim Noah tried to recruit Carmelo Anthony to Chicago during All-Star weekend, calling it illegal and a form of tampering. “I’m not going to get into all of that. You know legally nobody can recruit anyone. You can’t do that at this point,” Woodson said Thursday during his weekly radio spot on ESPN Radio. “Melo is still wearing a Knicks uniform, and I hope he stays with the Knicks for the rest of his career. I’ve always said that. So whatever was said between Noah and the Chicago Bulls, that’s on them.” Woodson of course heard the same report that everone else did in regards to Noah allegedly telling Anthony, “If you want to win a ring, if you want your legacy to be about winning, come to Chicago.” The NBA has not released a statement on the matter.
07 Mar 2014 10:03:34 -0500
Was Bob Costas’ Sochi pink eye caused by botched Botox?
A source has informed Page Six that the alleged cause of the disturbing pinkeye that (Bubonic) plagued Bob Costas in Sochi during the Winter Olympics and prompted him to be pulled off the air was caused by botched Botox procedure. Costas, whose unfortunately timed condition became comedic fodder, missed six days as the prime-time host […]The post Was Bob Costas’ Sochi pink eye caused by a bothed Botox procedure? appeared first on Sportress of Blogitude.
07 Mar 2014 09:24:14 -0500
LeBron James blames sleeves for poor shooting night
LeBron James is not a fan of the alternate sleeved jerseys that the Miami Heat and several other NBA teams have had to wear this year. I have to say, I agree with him, at least from an asthetic point of view. However, James’ dislike for the attire has more to do with the functionality […]Continue reading...
07 Mar 2014 02:36:56 -0500
Report: Sharper told witnesses that sex wasn’t consensual
Things just keep getting worse for Darren Sharper. The former Saints, Vikings, and Packers safety and NFL Network is already in jail for multiple rape allegations, and now the truth is starting to come out. According to a report obtained by USA Today, Sharper told witnesses that he and a friend had sex with two […]
06 Mar 2014 23:49:06 -0500
Manny Ramirez not retired, says 'Super Manny' can still play
Manny Ramirez has not played in the major leagues since having two performance-enhancing drug-related suspensions in 2011 when he was a member of the Tampa Bay Rays, but he insists that he is not retired. “My qualities are still there, and I just need an opportunity to continue showing that the ‘Super Manny’ can help a team,” Ramirez said Thursday on “Grandes en los Deportes” on ESPN Radio 104.5 FM in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. Ramirez is preparing for the 2014 season and even created his own personal training program in the Miami area, according to Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes. The 41-year-old outfielder/DH impressed in his 2013 season with the EDA Rhinos in Taiwan, where he hit .352 and tallied 43 RBIs in 49 games. The Texas Rangers took notice and signed him to a contract with Triple-A Round Rock, but they released him after underwhelming performances in 30 games. Ramirez received an offer for another season with Taiwan, but he is putting it on hold. Despite his age and...
06 Mar 2014 23:12:06 -0500
Marlins ‘outraged’ at BoSox over subpar spring training lineup
The Miami Marlins are one of those bad teams that kind of relies on marketing their opponents as a sales pitch to fans wherever possible. Thursday’s Grapefruit League spring training game against the Boston Red Sox was one of those opportunities. Unfortunately, the Red Sox burned them, and now they’re reportedly upset. The Marlins designated […]
06 Mar 2014 22:26:04 -0500
Report: NBA executives, agents expect lockout in 2017
It’s a few summers away, but might we be looking at another work stoppage in the NBA three summers from now. According to Sean Deveney of The Sporting News, league executives and player agents are expecting another work stoppage as soon as the summer of 2017, when either party can opt out of the current Collective Bargaining Agreement. Ideally, whether labor or management, you begin work on the next negotiation the day after you sign the last agreement. For the players, they have not been able to do that. They still need to find a director, and once they have one, they need to assemble a team and work on a strategy. They’re way behind. Yes, it seems the Collective Bargaining Agreement even has opt out clauses. The last CBA was ratified in December 2011. The league played an abbreviated schedule starting on Dec. 25. Most people in NBA circles believe it will be the owners who want to sit down and discuss how business handled, again. The NBA owners love to sign off on all the money being thrown around
06 Mar 2014 21:55:25 -0500
Transgender athlete suing CrossFit for $2.5 million
CrossFit is facing a $2.5 million lawsuit after a transgender woman claims the fitness company refused to allow her to compete in the women's division at the upcoming CrossFit Games. Why? Well, because she was technically born a man.In 2006, Chloie Johnson underwent sex reassignment surgery to become legally recognized as a woman by the State of California. But she was denied her requst to compete in the CrossFit Games when she asked if she could compete against the ladies."We have simply ruled that based upon [Chloie] being born as a male, she will need to compete in the Men's Division," wrote CrossFit in a written letter to Chloie. "The fundamental, ineluctable fact is that a male competitor who has a sex reassignment procedure still has a genetic makeup that confers a physical and physiological advantage over women."According to TMZ Sports, that's not the only thing CrossFit wrote in the letter."Our decision has nothing to do with 'ignoran...
06 Mar 2014 21:15:19 -0500
John Fox on coaching Champ Bailey: 'I consider it a privilege'
After a decade with the Denver Broncos, Champ Bailey won’t be wearing orange and blue in 2014. “This was a difficult decision for our team with everything that Champ Bailey has meant to the Denver Broncos and this community over the last 10 years,” Executive Vice President of Football Operations/General Manager John Elway said. “Without question, he’s among the best cornerbacks to ever play the game and one of the finest players in the history of the Broncos. You couldn’t ask for more in a player than what Champ brought to this team. His combination of elite talent, class, leadership and competitiveness made him one of the all-time greats. “On behalf of everyone with the Broncos, I wish Champ all the best and thank him for everything he did for this franchise. Champ will always be a Bronco. We look forward to his Ring of Fame and Pro Football Hall of Fame election in the years ahead.” The 15-year veteran came to Denver in a trade with the Washington Redskins on March 4, 2004 in exchange for ru
06 Mar 2014 20:55:09 -0500
Parsons on Magic fans booing Howard: I would have, too
Dwight Howard returned to his old stomping grounds — that he departed while implementing a metaphorical scorched-earth strategy — on Wednesday night as his Houston Rockets paid visit to Florida to face the Orlando Magic. As part of the Magic’s 25th anniversary celebration — and something the team has done for previous returning players as […]The post Magic fans boo Dwight Howard, teammate Chandler Parsons says he would have, too (videos) appeared first on Sportress of Blogitude.
06 Mar 2014 20:11:21 -0500
Parcells ‘very impressed’ with Bridgewater after meeting
The Browns are pulling out the big guns (read: Big Tuna) in their search for a franchise quarterback.
Hall of Fame coach Bill Parcells told NFL.com's Gil Brandt that he met with Browns owner Jimmy Haslam as a "courtesy consultant" for the team.
More interestingly, Parcells had a face-to-face with Louisville quarterback Teddy Bridgewater in Florida for more than four hours, coming away "very impressed" with Bridgewater's humility, football knowledge, well-spoken ability, and secure nature.
A Browns spokesman has since confirmed there's "no connection" between Parcells' meeting with Bridgewater and the club's plans. However, Cleveland has shown they're approaching the draft in a secretive nature, refusing to interview quarterbacks during last month's Scouting Combine despite a glaring need at the position...
06 Mar 2014 19:47:28 -0500
Rumor: Johnny Manziel not a fit for Houston Texans
Johnny Manziel basically warned the Houston Texans not to pass on him with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, claiming that would be the “worst decision they’ve ever made.” But more and more evidence suggests the Texas A&M star simply isn’t a fit for the Texans and he’ll likely wind up elsewhere on draft day. On Thursday Scouts Inc.’s Todd McShay confirmed he has been hearing that Manziel isn’t a fit for the Texans and took the step of sending Blake Bortles to Houston in his most recent mock draft. McShay went as far as using the phrase “crossing him off the list” when describing the scenario of Manziel going to the Texans. McShay is basing his analysis on what he has been hearing and what he heard at the NFL Combine, not a personal evaluation of Manziel’s talent. McShay’s report is in line with what I’ve been hearing. Yes, Manziel is a local boy who would probably be a very popular pick among Houston’s fans. But he may not be what new head coach Bill O’Brien is look